Training for school staff
Asthma WA recommends that schools take extra steps to ensure the safest possible environment for students with asthma – this is one in nine of your students! Knowing more about asthma and what to do in the case of an asthma flare-up could save a student’s life.
Asthma WA provides professional development training for school staff. Sessions take approximately one hour and include:
- Physiology of asthma, medications and devices
- Triggers in the school environment – with a focus on exercise-induced asthma
- How to recognise an asthma flare-up
- Asthma first aid and how to manage an emergency
Our Respiratory Health Team is also available to speak to students, P&C’s and other community groups upon request.
Whilst Federal Government funding for face-to-face education in schools has ceased, we believe it is essential that school staff have access to individualised asthma education and training for their location. Therefore if possible, we are requesting schools make a small donation to help cover the costs and make this program sustainable.
Read more about our Bust Out in Blue campaign for fundraising ideas.
Training deliver methods
- A one hour face to face session on site for Perth metropolitan schools.
- A one-hour online training course.