Asthma WA recommends schools take the extra steps to ensure the safest possible environment for students with asthma – this is one in nine of your students! Knowing more about asthma and what to do in the case of an asthma flare-up could save a student’s life.
Training for school staff
Asthma WA provides professional development training for school staff. Sessions take approximately one hour and include:
- Physiology of asthma, medications and devices
- Triggers in the school environment – with a focus on exercise-induced asthma
- How to recognise an asthma flare-up
- Asthma first aid and how to manage an emergency
Our Respiratory Health Team is also available to speak to students, P&C’s and other community groups upon request.
Whilst Federal Government funding for face to face education for schools has ceased, Asthma WA believes it is essential that school staff have access to asthma education and training and therefore continues to offer this program. Therefore if possible, we are requesting schools make a small donation to help cover the costs and make this program sustainable.
See below for more information about our Bust Out in Blue campaign for fundraising ideas.
Training deliver methods
- A one hour face to face session onsite for Perth metropolitan schools.
- A one hour online training course.